Sunday, May 26, 2013

1964 Renault Dauphine

Image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Dauphine

1964 Dauphine, Gray.

Displacement:845 ccm (51.56 cubic inches)
Engine type:Inline, 4 cylinder
Max power:39.00 PS (29 kW or 38 HP) at 5000 Rev. per min.




Memories:

Tim: The first car  I paid for was the 1964 Renault Dauphine similar to the picture shown. It cost 15 dollars even. Dad fixed it up as I recall and painted it Gray with a spray bomb. He drove it back and forth to the station. I called it mine,as I remember, but he drove it. When the starter went out,being  practical as always,Dad pressed into service a feature still built into rear engine European cars in the 60's...the hand crank starter.  As I recall,this car met an untimely end when it was rear ended on Leonard Street hill on his way home from work.  The insurance company settled a claim,totaling out the car for 50.00. This was considered a profitable operation.  The facts of the above story is true to the best of my recollection ...and subject to edit by anyone in the family with more accurate recall than I have at this age.  TC

No comments:

Post a Comment